Fritz’s Cabin has a bed in the main room and bed in the bedroom.
This solid log cabin in the beginning was neither a wrangler’s cabin nor a rental cabin, but rather a home for a full time caretaker for the Bruce Spruce Ranch. It was occupied by a flinty old timer by the name of Fritz Chapel. Fritz came to the Pagosa Springs area long before Wolf Creek Pass road as a prospector and trapper, something he did for many years with his friend Buck O’Neal.
When I was a kid, the outside walls were lined with his many traps. In Fritz’s older days, Judge Bruce hired him to look after the Bruce Spruce Ranch cabins both summer and winter, especially in the winter when the snow needed to be shoveled from the roofs.
After Fritz passed in the 1950s, the Wranglers Cabin was used for just that. The Wranglers that ran the horses and hunting trips at Bruce Spruce Ranch from the 1950s thru 2010 used the Wranglers Cabin as their headquarters.
Then in 2010, the permit for the horses was lost and in 2011 and 2012 the Wranglers Cabin was completely remodeled and turned into a rental unit for the 2013 season. Interesting to note, these hand-hewn logs were recovered from the original McCoy homestead and moved to this site to be reassembled in the mid 1930s.
All our cabins have electricity, refrigerator, freezer, gas oven with four burners, microwave, pots, pans, dishes and utensils, as well as a kitchen table with chairs. A pot bellied stove provides heat, with chopped wood easily available. Each cabin has a half bath with cold running water and a clean, centralized area for hot showers in individual stalls. There is also a central laundry facility that can be used for a small fee. Sheets and blankets are provided, but there are no kitchen or bath towels, so we recommend bringing your own.
- Two Double Bed Cabin $96.00 a night
- 7th night free
- Pets $10.00
- Horse $10.00
- Extra Person $10.00
- Cot $10.00
- Please note that all cabins are NON-SMOKING (cigarette or marijuana)
- 5% cash discount (includes checks and travelers checks)
- Taxes not included
- Reservations on all cabins require a deposit of 1/3 of total lodging cost or no less than 1 night’s rent to be paid when a reservation is made. Upon arrival, guest are responsible for the total payment of all reserved nights.
- Cancellations on summer cabins & RVs: If a cancellation is made at least 60 days before reservation, your deposit will be refunded less a $20 handling fee. For cancellations made less than 60 days before a reservation, the deposit will not be refunded.